noun (plural batmen)• dated
- (In the British armed forces) an officer’s personal servant.More example sentences
- At the risk of annoying my friends in the Army top brass let me add that the institution of a batman or orderly for every army office even at peace stations is archaic and should be done away with.
- In the garden I fell over the wall and drunkenly hushed my colleague, my batman, the other soldier in this two-person war against the future.
- Another thing that makes us think he was wounded and is a prisoner is that his batman stayed with him, has never been seen, and is presumed to be a prisoner.
mid 18th century (originally denoting an orderly in charge of the bat horse 'packhorse' which carried the officer's baggage): from Old French bat (from medieval Latin bastum 'packsaddle') + man.
More definitions of BatmanDefinition of batman in:
- The US English dictionary