Definition of battle cry in English:
1A word or phrase shouted by soldiers going into battle to express solidarity and intimidate the enemy.
- Both hunters quickly mounted and shouted a barbaric battle cry to their enemies.
- With that being said, all the other generals, and even the guards shouted the battle cry, confident of the victory in upcoming battles.
- But those words were like a battle cry ringing inside my head.
1.1A slogan expressing the ideals of people engaged in a campaign: ‘Equal pay for equal work’ was a battle cry of the feminist movement
More example sentences
- Annie articulates the new feminist battle cry.
- These 14 words, the battle cry for many white supremacists, are accredited to David Lane, once a member of The Order and now in prison.
- Thus, Ralph Waldo Emerson shouts the battle cry of modernity: ‘Trust thyself.’
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.