- A heavy warship of a type built chiefly in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, with extensive armour protection and large-calibre guns.More example sentences
- Wind has disrupted the advance of great warships like battleships and aircraft carriers.
- The Navy had arrived with impressive looking warships and battleships, armed to the teeth with many a cannon and gun.
- This is a legacy of the Second World War, in which the aircraft carrier replaced the battleship as the capital ship of fleets.
late 18th century: shortening of line-of-battle ship, originally with reference to the largest wooden warships.
More definitions of battleshipDefinition of battleship in:
- The US English dictionary