noun (plural same or bauds)Computing & Telecommunications
- A unit of transmission speed equal to the number of times a signal changes state per second. For signals with only two possible states one baud is equivalent to one bit per second.More example sentences
- This is our world now, the world of the electron and the switch, the beauty of the baud.
- The serial line initializes the serial port to the proper baud and settings.
- Traditional GSM data access gives the user a maximum of 9600 baud over its radio coding scheme.
1930s: coined in French from the name of Jean M. E. Baudot (1845–1903), French engineer who invented a telegraph printing system.
More definitions of baudDefinition of baud in:
- The US English dictionary