Definition of bauxite in English:
An amorphous clayey rock that is the chief commercial ore of aluminium. It consists largely of hydrated alumina with variable proportions of iron oxides.
- The principal economic activities and primary sources of foreign exchange are bauxite mining and alumina production, tourism, and sugar and banana exports.
- It is among the world's leading producers of bauxite and alumina, which are exported to Canada, Norway, and the United States.
- The major exports are bauxite and alumina, apparel, sugar, bananas, coffee, citrus and citrus products, rum, cocoa, and labor.
- Example sentences
- Sequence III extends from the base of Seam 4A to the base of the bauxitic claystone beneath Seam 2.
- Seam 4A has a much higher content of alumina than the other seams, which may suggest that the detrital input into this coal mire contained a greater proportion of bauxitic weathering products than the other coals.
- The coastal lagoonal deposits are represented by bauxitic claystones resting on the undulating top of thick-bedded limestones.
Definition of bauxite in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan