Definition of bawbee in English:
1A coin of low value.
- In any given year only some contracts are up for renewal come the end of May, and a minority of players may resist moving on to an incentive-based pay plan while colleagues continue to earn their bawbees just for showing face.
- I supported the party loyally for 35 years, often representing it in elections and, even more often, giving it my bawbees, both at local and national level.
- It believes the bawbees can be put to better use.
1.1A former silver coin worth three (later six) Scottish pennies.
- I'll wager a silver bawbee that my horse can outrun yours to the MacBaron borders.
- So, beating down Bell from his upset price of fourpence to six bawbees, I pushed the treasure carelessly in my pocket, and never stopped till I was in a lonely place by Tyne-side and secure from observation.
mid 16th century: from the name of the laird of Sillebawby, mint master under James V.
Definition of bawbee in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan