- A Hindu dancing girl, especially one at a southern Indian temple: the bayadère emerged from a Hindu temple to perform her ritual danceMore example sentences
- It tells of the bayadère (temple dancer) Nikiya who loves the warrior Solor.
- The two variations of the four bayadères in the 2nd Act are indeed the ones previously seen before and after the Grand Pas.
- Gamzatti is so furious, that she also decides to have the bayadère killed.
from French, from Portuguese bailadeira, from bailar 'to dance' (related to medieval Latin ballare 'to dance').
More definitions of bayadèreDefinition of bayadère in:
- The US English dictionary