- A venomous lizard with a stout body, short limbs, a large blunt head, and bead-like scales, occurring from the south-western US to Guatemala.
More example sentences
- Family Helodermatidae and genus Heloderma: the Mexican beaded lizard (H. horridum) and the Gila monster
- Moreover, like many snakes - but unlike any other lizards - Gila monsters and beaded lizards are venomous.
- At rest, Gila monsters and beaded lizards have among the lowest metabolic rates ever measured in lizards - far lower than the rates in monitor lizards.
- The only poisonous lizards are the Gila monster and the beaded lizard, both of which live in the deserts of Mexico and Arizona.