noun[mass noun] • historical
- A form of entertainment which involved setting dogs to attack a captive bear.More example sentences
- With bear-baiting, the bear is chained to a pole and the spectators are locked in the Bear Garden ostensibly for their own protection.
- Without such ‘interference’ down the ages we'd be now living in a society that celebrates bear-baiting, cock-fighting and organised dog fights.
- Gorboduc was doing poor business at The Globe, and people were obsessed with cock-fighting and bear-baiting and didn't give a fig for the live theatre.
More definitions of bear-baitingDefinition of bear-baiting in:
- The US English dictionary