noun (plural same or beardfishes)
- A small bottom-dwelling marine fish of deep water, with a long pair of fleshy barbels beneath the chin.
More example sentences
- Family Polymixiidae and genus Polymixia: several species, in particular P. lowei
- Polymixia, the beardfish, may belong in the Beryciformes but recent work suggests that it is the sister-group to the paracanthopterygian plus acanthopterygian clades.
- On Aug. 17, Pearland's Ricky Ramirez landed the state's best lane snapper, 8.2 pounds, and three days later, Gary Kaiser of Van Vleck toppled the existing beardfish (whatever that is) record with one that weighed 4.09 pounds.
- Stout beardfish are associated with soft-bottom habitats, where they use their chin barbels to probe the sediments for food.