Definition of beauty contest in English:
1A contest in which the winner is the woman judged the most beautiful.
- The war began after the Trojan prince Paris was promised that he would marry the prettiest woman in the world after he judged Aphrodite to be the winner in a divine beauty contest.
- Some years ago the Black Expo invited Heavyweight Champion Mike Tyson to judge their beauty contest.
- At Zeus' command Paris had been the judge at a beauty contest and had to choose which of the goddesses Hera, Athene, or Aphrodite was the fairest.
1.1 informal A contest between rival institutions which depends heavily on presentation.
- Why is the beauty contest critical if it's a winner take all as far as Republican voters are concerned?
- Nor are they a beauty contest between the three options with the winner being the council's adopted plan.
- Because it does not weigh all the inputs included in a DCF model, ratio-based valuation acts more like a beauty contest: stocks are compared to each other rather than judged on intrinsic value.
Definition of beauty contest in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.