Definition of bed of nails in English:
1A board with nails pointing out of it, as lain on by fakirs and ascetics.
- He watches a fakir twirl on his nose on a bed of nails.
- It's like walking on broken glass, lying on a bed of nails and having a concrete block broken on your chest.
- The devoted England fan who showed his passion by lying on a bed of nails during the clash with Brazil has been invited to go to Japan and repeat the performance - during the World Cup final.
1.1A problematic or uncomfortable situation: he took over the Liberal leadership after that bed of nails had been vacated by Lord Rosebery
More example sentences
- Motherhood is a bed of nails that requires a lot of adjustment before you can get comfortable.
- So a third term for the prime minister would immediately be a bed of nails unless he made major concessions to his critics.
- However, those who suffered extreme injustice would have to go through a tough test before they were permitted to see the local governor - they would have to lie on a bed of nails.
Definition of bed of nails in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan