- 1A board with nails pointing out of it, as lain on by fakirs and ascetics.More example sentences
- He watches a fakir twirl on his nose on a bed of nails.
- It's like walking on broken glass, lying on a bed of nails and having a concrete block broken on your chest.
- The devoted England fan who showed his passion by lying on a bed of nails during the clash with Brazil has been invited to go to Japan and repeat the performance - during the World Cup final.
- 1.1A problematic or uncomfortable situation: he took over the Liberal leadership after that bed of nails had been vacated by Lord RoseberyMore example sentences
- Motherhood is a bed of nails that requires a lot of adjustment before you can get comfortable.
- So a third term for the prime minister would immediately be a bed of nails unless he made major concessions to his critics.
- However, those who suffered extreme injustice would have to go through a tough test before they were permitted to see the local governor - they would have to lie on a bed of nails.
More definitions of bed of nailsDefinition of bed of nails in:
- The US English dictionary