(also bedeguar gall)
- A reddish moss-like growth on rose bushes, forming in response to the developing larvae of a gall wasp. Also called robin's pincushion.
More example sentences
- The wasp is Diplolepis rosae, family Cynipidae
- Which reminds me, I have just learnt that a robin's pincushion is technically known as a bedeguar.
- A bedeguar gall is not the product of a single larva but a group of larvae, each residing in their own chamber within the gall.
- Also called a bedeguar gall or Robin's pincushion, this gall is formed by a Cynipid wasp, Diplolepis rosae, that overwinters in the gall in the larval stage, then completes its life cycle in the spring.
late Middle English: from French bédégar, from Persian bād-āwar, literally 'wind-brought'.
More definitions of bedeguarDefinition of bedeguar in:
- The US English dictionary