Definition of bedrock in English:
1Solid rock underlying loose deposits such as soil or alluvium.
- Flat or slightly rolling terrain is the rule here, and thick soil deposits overlay Cretaceous shale bedrock.
- The plants were growing from several fissures in the mafic bedrock that underlies the creek.
- Erosion of the underlying bedrock appears to have been limited.
1.1The fundamental principles on which something is based: honesty is the bedrock of a good relationship
More example sentences
- These terms were to remain as the bedrock of his artistic principles even though his manner and procedures of painting were to change quite radically.
- Give them a clear standard that is in accordance with the bedrock principles of our nation.
- We need cool heads, warm hearts and our bedrock values of fairness and equality to choose the right path.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.