- Genera Fagus (of the northern temperate zone) and Notofagus (the southern beeches, of Australasia and South America), family Fagaceae: many species
- Suppose you are like me and cannot tell an elm tree from a beech tree.
- Nestled amid those trails and orange red maples, oaks, beeches and birches was the Lost River.
- Oaks, sycamores and beeches dotted well-tended lawns bordered by tarmacked paths and signposted at every junction.
- It looks like the leg of a very large beechwood coffee table.
- There are 72 in all, with big beechwood bedheads and furniture, white-tiled bathrooms and flowers everywhere (annual bill £34,000).
- Now she walked over to that chair and stroked her fingers across the top of its beechwood frame.
book from Old English:
The forerunners of the modern book would have been scrolls of papyrus or parchment, or engraved tablets—the first example of what we might recognize as a book came in Roman times. The word book goes back to Old English and has related forms in most of the other northern European languages of the time. Their ancestor was probably a word related to beech (Old English), which would have been a wood that people used for engraving inscriptions. A bookmaker is someone who ‘makes a book’. Bookmakers keep a record of bets made with different people, which was originally done in a memorandum book.
Words that rhyme with beechbeach, beseech, bleach, breach, breech, each, impeach, leach, leech, outreach, peach, pleach, preach, reach, screech, speech, teach
Definition of beech in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.