A reddish-brown bracket fungus which resembles raw beef and is sometimes considered edible, found in Eurasia and North America.
- Fistulina hepatica, family Fistulinaceae, class Hymenomycetes
More example sentences
- Clean and cut the beefsteak fungus into fine slices and place in a frying pan with finely chopped shallots and garlic.
- This is a beefsteak fungus; it looks like a slab of meat and it ‘bleeds’ when you cut into it.
- I was delighted to find a beefsteak fungus growing on an oak tree by Wimpole Hall.
Definition of beefsteak fungus in:
- The US English dictionary