- 1A box-like or dome-shaped structure in which bees are kept.More example sentences
- Think about the concentric pattern of honey, pollen, and brood that arises on the honey combs of a beehive.
- Her grandfather was a successful farmer who owned potato fields, beehives, and a few head of cattle.
- However, the ideal places for establishing bee colonies were locations where the farm pesticide use was low, and where there were several beehives in the wild.
- 1.1 [usually as modifier] Something having the domed shape of a traditional beehive: a beehive hutMore example sentences
- Whole ears of fresh blue corn are baked in their traditional outdoor beehive ovens for 15 minutes or so and then eaten warm.
- Bells were made either from folding a sheet of iron or bronze into a square or round beehive shape and fixing it with rivets, or by casting a similar shape in bronze.
- One shoe and a boot were uncovered during work on the building, which also revealed a beehive oven and fire hole that experts believe are part of an even older house on the site.
- 1.2 (the Beehive) another term for Praesepe.
- 2A woman’s domed and lacquered hairstyle popular in the 1960s.More example sentences
- Then it was sprayed into a solid beehive or bouffant helmet that sometimes flowed into curls, waves or a tight flip at the ends.
- At the house, the groom meets the bride - her hair lacquered into an enormous beehive, a spray of pearls emerging from one side of it, six roses from the other.
- His aide's balding head surfaced just behind Tina, bobbing up and down as he tried to see over her latest hairdo, a beehive laced with glittering red-and-green honeybees.
- sense 2.More example sentences
- She went as a sixties ‘chick'. Y'know the kind of thing, black and white mini-dress with keyhole, long hair slightly beehived, knee-length boots etc.
- When the beehived percussionist moves one fist around in a circle, wooden baton pointed skyward, she looks less like a heavy-metal majorette and more like she needs to stir her way out of a giant vat of pudding.
- He then got stuffed into a sequinned baby-suit and was made to dance for middle-aged businessmen and their beehived wives.
More definitions of beehiveDefinition of beehive in:
- The US English dictionary