1A box-like or dome-shaped structure in which bees are kept.
- Think about the concentric pattern of honey, pollen, and brood that arises on the honey combs of a beehive.
- Her grandfather was a successful farmer who owned potato fields, beehives, and a few head of cattle.
- However, the ideal places for establishing bee colonies were locations where the farm pesticide use was low, and where there were several beehives in the wild.
1.1 [usually as modifier] Something having the domed shape of a traditional beehive: a beehive hut
More example sentences
- Whole ears of fresh blue corn are baked in their traditional outdoor beehive ovens for 15 minutes or so and then eaten warm.
- Bells were made either from folding a sheet of iron or bronze into a square or round beehive shape and fixing it with rivets, or by casting a similar shape in bronze.
- One shoe and a boot were uncovered during work on the building, which also revealed a beehive oven and fire hole that experts believe are part of an even older house on the site.
1.2 (the Beehive) another term for Praesepe.
2A woman’s domed and lacquered hairstyle popular in the 1960s.
- Then it was sprayed into a solid beehive or bouffant helmet that sometimes flowed into curls, waves or a tight flip at the ends.
- At the house, the groom meets the bride - her hair lacquered into an enormous beehive, a spray of pearls emerging from one side of it, six roses from the other.
- His aide's balding head surfaced just behind Tina, bobbing up and down as he tried to see over her latest hairdo, a beehive laced with glittering red-and-green honeybees.
- sense 2.Example sentences
- She went as a sixties ‘chick'. Y'know the kind of thing, black and white mini-dress with keyhole, long hair slightly beehived, knee-length boots etc.
- When the beehived percussionist moves one fist around in a circle, wooden baton pointed skyward, she looks less like a heavy-metal majorette and more like she needs to stir her way out of a giant vat of pudding.
- He then got stuffed into a sequinned baby-suit and was made to dance for middle-aged businessmen and their beehived wives.
Definition of beehive in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.