Definition of begum in English:
1A Muslim woman of high rank.
- The begum who owned Liberty Theatre allowed them in to see movies for free as they were neighbours and he has a strong memory of how she would drive a convertible with great style.
- You will, of course, need a driver to drop and pick the children from school and, more importantly, to take the begum out for shopping and to her coffee parties.
- There was a pause and the begum looked up, I think to see if I was secretly laughing at her memories: ‘It's up to you whether you want to believe all this,’ she said simply.
1.1 (Begum) The title of a married Muslim woman, equivalent to Mrs.
- After moving to Bradford in the mid-1990s, he married a Muslim woman, Shaffia Begum, in June 1995.
- An Indian Foreign Ministry spokesman said Musharraf and his wife Begum will visit India July 14-16 and the summit would take place in Agra, an ancient city in northern India and home to the Taj Mahal.
- And that's just when I refuse to take the Begum to buy new shoes.
from Urdu begam, from eastern Turkish bigim 'princess', feminine of big 'prince'.
Definition of begum in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan