(also beisa oryx)
- A gemsbok of a race that is native to the Horn of Africa.
More example sentences
- Oryx gazella beisa, family Bovidae
- An adult lioness on central Kenya known as Larsen confounded the law of the jungle by adopting a baby beisa oryx, a kind of small antelope normally preyed upon by big cats.
- The gemsbok's range may have an annual rainfall of between 50 mm to 250 mm while in East Africa the fringe-eared and beisa oryxes live in bush land savannahs that have up to 300 mm rain a year.
- In the drier areas several large mammal species occur such as cheetah, lion, elephant, beisa oryx, Grevy's zebra and reticulated giraffe.
mid 19th century: from Amharic.