- A lyrical style of operatic singing using a full, rich, broad tone and smooth phrasing: a superb piece of bel canto [as modifier]: the bel canto arias of BelliniMore example sentences
- At that audition I did not have any Baroque arias prepared so I sang my usual bel canto coloratura and he hired me on the spot.
- Before the vocal glory of Callas and Sutherland, sopranos with lighter timbres often sang bel canto roles.
- The Andante sang like an instrumental bel canto aria.
late 19th century: Italian, literally 'fine song'.
More definitions of bel cantoDefinition of bel canto in:
- The US English dictionary