- An extinct cephalopod mollusc with a bullet-shaped internal shell that is typically found as a fossil in marine deposits of the Jurassic and Cretaceous periods.
More example sentences
- Order Belemnoidea, class Cephalopoda: many genera
- These turned out to be remains from the tentacles of extinct squid-like belemnites.
- They included the great marine reptiles such as ichthyosaurs and plesiosaurs, but also smaller creatures such as ammonites and belemnites - the precursor's of today's squid.
- Urgonian facies are also characterized, negatively, by the absence of ammonites and belemnites.
early 17th century: from modern Latin belemnites, based on Greek belemnon 'dart'.
More definitions of belemniteDefinition of belemnite in:
- The US English dictionary