verb (belies, belying, belied)[with object]
1(Of an appearance) fail to give a true impression of (something): his lively, alert manner belied his years
More example sentences
- Teresa's youthful appearance certainly belies her age and we wish her continued good health…
- Its exotic appearance belies the toughness and reliability of its nature.
- He may look like a rugged hillwalker, well-built and bearded - but his appearance belies the truth.
contradict, be at odds with, call into question, give the lie to, show/prove to be false;
disprove, debunk, discredit, explode, knock the bottom out of, drive a coach and horses through
informal shoot full of holes, shoot down (in flames)
rare controvert, confute, negative
conceal, cover, disguise, misrepresent, falsify, distort, warp, put a spin on, colour;
give a false idea of, give a false account of
2Fail to fulfil or justify (a claim or expectation): the quality of the music seems to belie the criticism
More example sentences
- These figures belie the constantly repeated claims of mass popular support for the brutal war.
- Already, we have encountered many instances that would belie any such claim.
- The strong shows of support for him belied claims that the party was falling apart without its leader.
Old English belēogan 'deceive by lying', from be- 'about' + lēogan 'to lie'. Current senses date from the 17th century.
Words that rhyme with belieally, Altai, apply, assai, awry, ay, aye, Baha'i, bi, Bligh, buy, by, bye, bye-bye, chi, Chiangmai, Ciskei, comply, cry, Cy, Dai, defy, deny, Di, die, do-or-die, dry, Dubai, dye, espy, eye, fie, fly, forbye, fry, Frye, goodbye (US goodby), guy, hereby, hi, hie, high, I, imply, I-spy, July, kai, lie, lye, Mackay, misapply, my, nearby, nigh, Nye, outfly, passer-by, phi, pi, pie, ply, pry, psi, Qinghai, rai, rely, rocaille, rye, scry, serai, shanghai, shy, sigh, sky, Skye, sky-high, sly, spin-dry, spry, spy, sty, Sukhotai, supply, Tai, Thai, thereby, thigh, thy, tie, Transkei, try, tumble-dry, underlie, Versailles, Vi, vie, whereby, why, wry, Wye, xi, Xingtai, Yantai
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: belie
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.