- A buoy equipped with a bell rung by the motion of the sea, warning shipping of shallow waters.More example sentences
- Go to the bell buoy 100m off shore and line up the two cones on the cliff tops above Gwennap Head.
- This lighted bell buoy is of the type widely used in the 20th century to mark shoals in coastal waters along the East Coast of the United States.
- But, only within recent history have sailors enjoyed the peace of mind provided by bell buoys sounding their distinct tones across Cape Cod's waters.
More definitions of bell buoyDefinition of bell buoy in:
- The US English dictionary