Definition of bell-ringing in English:
The activity or pastime of ringing church bells or handbells.
- Bells and bell-ringing have often been imitated by composers for symbolic purposes.
- There will be an opportunity for anyone interested in church bell-ringing when two taster evenings will be held at the Church.
- Her life revolves around her dogs, the local am-dram society, the church, bell-ringing and village gossip.
- Example sentences
- The bell-ringers of St James’ had that same day taken part in another county-wide act of appreciation and appeal.
- There was a very real danger that the spire would collapse onto bell-ringers and those walking below.
- Another reason to feel distress about this matter is the effect it would have on the dedicated bands of bell-ringers who regularly practise this traditional art and help celebrate events such as weddings or christenings.
Definition of bell-ringing in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia