- Derivatives of plant leaves, flowers, stems, berries, fruits and roots account for about half of those available including some of the better known - arnica and belladonna.
- Two of the most popular and better known are arnica and belladonna.
- You don't have much of your hour left to find some belladonna.
- The most common ingredients prescribed were iodides, organic nitrites, stramonium, belladonna, atropine, hyoscyamus, tobacco smoke, and menthol.
- Although a small benefit has been found from the combination of belladonna and phenobarbital, concern over adverse effects and possible addiction problems has limited its use.
- By the late eighteenth century William Heberden was recommending cold baths and blisters ‘applied to the loins' and belladonna was later used as a cure.
Mid 18th century: from modern Latin, from Italian bella donna 'fair lady', perhaps from the use of its juice to add brilliance to the eyes by dilating the pupils.
Words that rhyme with belladonnaConnor, donna, goner, gonna, honour (US honor), Maradona, Mashona, O'Connor, Shona, wanna
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: bella|donna
Definition of belladonna in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.