noun (plural bellmen)• historical
- A town crier.More example sentences
- The Professor observes that the Romans and the Elizabethans ‘read the time by day by sundial’ and ‘heard the time by night through the watchmen's cries or tolling of the bellman on the hour’.
- In 1841 the Mayor of Appleby gave notice by the bellman that ALL dogs found at large would be destroyed.
- The town bellman read a celebratory poem and schoolchildren lined up to take part in the traditional dances.
More definitions of bellmanDefinition of bellman in:
- The US English dictionary