- A dive into water, landing flat on one’s front.More example sentences
- He teetered, lost his balance and fell off, making a tremendous splash as he hit the water with an inelegant bellyflop and an angry shout.
- I watched as Damian fell off his board for the umpteenth time, laughing along with Shawdi at his spectacular bellyflop.
- The sight so startled him that he finally lost control, doing a painful bellyflop that threw up a cascade of water.
verb (bellyflops, bellyflopping, bellyflopped)[no object] Back to top
- 1Perform a bellyflop: he bellyflopped into the waterMore example sentences
- The two men bellyflop each other for a bit until Haystacks falls through the ropes on to a nice ringside flower arrangement and is counted out. ‘Easy!
- She bellyflopped flat down onto the pavement.
- Suddenly, without warning, she bellyflopped, unceremoniously, into the wooden planter.
- 1.1(Of an aircraft) perform an emergency landing without lowering the undercarriage: the plane bellyflopped in a cornfieldMore example sentences
- As the plane approached the water, the right wing dramatically dropped but this appeared to be mostly corrected when it looked like the airliner stalled and literally bellyflopped into the water with a huge splash.
- Ditching was a procedure wherein the disabled aircraft bellyflopped on the ocean surface.
More definitions of bellyflopDefinition of bellyflop in:
- The US English dictionary