Definition of benighted in English:
1In a state of pitiful or contemptible intellectual or moral ignorance: they saw themselves as bringers of culture to poor benighted peoples
More example sentences
- Indeed, there's reason to hope that even the most benighted moral equivocators may come to realize that the message is the exact opposite of the one they've been preaching.
- The people of Florence are far from considering themselves ignorant and benighted, and yet Brother Savonarola succeeded in persuading them that he held converse with God.
- It's a primitive, benighted method of ordering life that is based mostly on coercion and the world would be much better off if all its forms were banned forever.
ignorant, unenlightened, uneducated, unschooled, untutored, illiterate, unlettered, unlearned, unscholarly, unread, uninformed, backward, simple;
primitive, uncivilized, unsophisticated, unrefined, uncouth, unpolished, uncultured, philistine, barbarian, barbaric, barbarous, savage, crude, coarse, rough, vulgar, gross
2Overtaken by darkness: a storm developed and we were forced to wait benighted near the summit
More example sentences
- A pair of climbers were benighted in a storm at the top of Royal Arches without overnight gear.
- When Mr. Heath, the benighted and storm-delayed traveler, threw back his dripping coat, and seated himself at the invitation of his host, before the blazing fire, Mr. Abbot thought that he had seldom seen a more attractive young man.
- The forest was also frequented by outlaws, and was a place of great danger to the benighted traveller.
- Example sentences
- Whose foolishness or benightedness is Peter referring to in this and in the following nocturnes of Dresden's historic architecture?
- Twelve hundred people attended, including eighty-six deputies, one of whom apologized profusely for his previous benightedness and pledged his allegiance to ‘reform.’
- This is not necessarily true for all of the players in the digital library arena, and it is not necessarily benightedness that accounts for this.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan