noun[mass noun] Ecology
- The flora and fauna found on the bottom, or in the bottom sediments, of a sea or lake.More example sentences
- Even if an intertidal zone existed, sea ice disturbance, as well as the unstable, gravelly substrate, would make it uninhabitable by intertidal benthos, epifauna, or epiphytes.
- In this study, we examine how the size structure of benthos in lakes and predation by fishes were related over five years under seminatural gradients of fish biomass and predation pressure in three north-temperate experimental lakes.
- The presence of other specialized benthos at the crinoid-bearing localities indicates that the ocean bottom locally was not fully anoxic.
- More example sentences
- The blue marlin occupies a high trophic level, feeding on pelegic and benthic organisms in the ecosystem of the open ocean.
- Much of this distinctiveness can now be ascribed to the influence of Actinocyclus normanii in both the planktonic and benthic food webs.
- So, we conclude that Urbilateria was part of the benthic epifauna - a bottom crawler.
late 19th century: from Greek, 'depth of the sea'.
More definitions of benthosDefinition of benthos in:
- The US English dictionary