1 [mass noun] An oily substance extracted from the rind of a dwarf variety of Seville orange, used in cosmetics and as flavouring in Earl Grey tea.
- Along with taking herbs, inhale the relaxing scents of lavender, chamomile, lemon balm, bergamot, orange blossom or rose.
- The fresh citrus fragrance of bergamot essential oil combined with the spicy pinelike scent of cypress will make your sneakers smell better than new.
- Some of them, including citrus oils such as orange, lemon and bergamot, react with ultraviolet light and can cause skin to burn more easily in sunlight.
2 (also bergamot orange) The tree which bears a variety of Seville orange from which bergamot is extracted.
- Citrus aurantium subsp. bergamia, family Rutaceae
- Oil of bergamot is extracted from the peel of the bergamot orange (Citrus bergamia or Citrus aurantium bergamia), a small pear shaped sour orange which is cultivated today mostly in southern Italy.
- Citrus zest and oil lend an invigorating tangy flavor, as well as vitamin C. Oil from the bergamot orange is sprayed over black tea to make the British favorite, Earl Grey.
- This is the bergamot orange, now classified as C. bergamia.
3An aromatic North American herb of the mint family.
- Genus Monarda, family Labiatae: several species, in particular sweet bergamot (M. didyma) (also called bee balm, oswego tea), grown for its bright flowers
- Mints. wild bergamot, and yarrow, attract the American Painted Lady, Anise Swallowtail, Gray Hairstreak, Monarch, and Red Admiral.
- A truly refreshing floral aroma with fresh top notes of revitalising green tea and sweet bergamot, sweetened by notes of juicy mandarin and soft orange.
- Cologne Blanche begins with soft, sweet bergamot and orange flowers followed quickly by an almond/vanilla drydown.
Late 17th century (in sense 2): named after the city and province of Bergamo in northern Italy.
Words that rhyme with bergamotguillemot • motmot
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan