- In addition to; apart from: I have no other family besides my parents besides being a player, he was my friendMore example sentences
apart from, other than, aside from, but for, save for, not counting, excluding, not including, except, with the exception of, excepting, bar, barring, leaving aside, beyond; in addition to, as well as, over and above, above and beyondNorth American • informal outside of• archaic forbye
- What more could a woman want besides the perfect family and the perfect home?
- Do people besides your family and your close circle of friends like these songs?
- What do they have, being so far away from home and their families, besides my support?
adverbBack to top
- 1In addition; as well: I’m capable of doing the work, and a lot more besidesMore example sentences
- He is the best finisher in England and a lot more besides.
- The ground floor is a warren of rooms crammed with every kind of device you ever saw in an ironmonger's, and quite a lot more besides.
- It is all glam by comparison, a busy street, four lanes wide with a lot of the local amenities and lots more besides.
- 1.1 [sentence adverb] Used to introduce an additional idea or explanation: I had no time to warn you. Besides, I wasn’t sureMore example sentences
- She had got used to the idea, and besides, death was very much like life, only without the worries.
- I cannot afford black market fuel and besides, I have no idea where to get it!
- Furthermore, besides food intake, other factors can also affect stool size.