Definition of besom in English:
1A broom made of twigs tied round a stick.
- Players have brooms, known as besoms, to sweep the ice clear of snow or debris so that nothing slows the passage of the stones.
- One Dorset broom maker was even making a special version of his household besom broom for the younger visitors - a Nimbus 2000, guaranteed to attract all Harry Potter fans!
- He followed this by sitting down and making a besom - a brush made from birch twigs.
2Scottish & Northern English derogatory A woman or girl.
- She was a cunning old besom and had seen instantly through Janet and my efforts to be professional and pleasant.
- It was the old besom who had stood behind the reception counter when she arrived.
- Then, as everyone stared at the old besom, the rapt silence was broken by the rolling thunder of a single cannon, setting the seabirds to wheeling and shrieking.
Words that rhyme with besomdirigisme
Definition of besom in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan