1A broom made of twigs tied round a stick.
- Players have brooms, known as besoms, to sweep the ice clear of snow or debris so that nothing slows the passage of the stones.
- One Dorset broom maker was even making a special version of his household besom broom for the younger visitors - a Nimbus 2000, guaranteed to attract all Harry Potter fans!
- He followed this by sitting down and making a besom - a brush made from birch twigs.
2Scottish & Northern English derogatory A woman or girl.
- She was a cunning old besom and had seen instantly through Janet and my efforts to be professional and pleasant.
- It was the old besom who had stood behind the reception counter when she arrived.
- Then, as everyone stared at the old besom, the rapt silence was broken by the rolling thunder of a single cannon, setting the seabirds to wheeling and shrieking.
Definition of besom in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.