noun (plural bestiaries)
- A descriptive or anecdotal treatise on various kinds of animal, especially a medieval work with a moralizing tone.More example sentences
- They typically demand some bizarre chimera: a part goat, part rooster sort of monster appropriate to a medieval bestiary or science fiction.
- Reminded me of reading in a medieval bestiary how lions would rescue people, and feeling rather superior as I read it.
- Long-faced, often sporting four horns, it resembles a creature in a medieval bestiary.
mid 19th century: from medieval Latin bestiarium, from Latin bestia 'beast'.
More definitions of bestiaryDefinition of bestiary in:
- The US English dictionary