- North American • informal Risk everything that one owns on a bet, investment, or enterprise: this isn’t a great time to bet the farm on the InternetMore example sentences
- There may be large practical differences between the candidates (true or false, we're betting the farm on it), but they disagree little on first principles.
- Secondly, we're kind of betting the farm on Tamiflu, and that's not a great idea.
- At the same time they've bet the farm on swiss-cheese treaties, the Europeans have pared their military spending to the point where the entire continent now has approximately the same force-projecting power as the Swiss navy.
More definitions of bet the farmDefinition of bet the farm in:
- The US English dictionary