(also beta ray)
- A fast-moving electron emitted by radioactive decay of substances (originally regarded as rays).More example sentences
- When it decays it emits a beta particle and a gamma ray, leaving behind a protactinium - 234 atom.
- During this process (mediated by a virtual W - particle) the nucleus expels a negative beta particle (electron or negatron) as radiation.
- The weak nuclear force is involved, and the neutron is converted into a proton when the beta particle is emitted.
More definitions of beta particleDefinition of beta particle in:
- The US English dictionary