noun[mass noun] Chemistry
- 1A crystalline compound with basic properties found in many plant juices.
More example sentences
- Chemical formula: (CH3)3N+—CH2CO2−
- The physiological characterization of transgenic plants suggested that betaine might accelerate protein synthesis de novo during recovery from stress.
- Many plant species accumulating betaine inhabit saline and arid areas and accumulate the compound in response to drought and salinity.
- They also supply betaine - the methyl donator, which the body uses for rebuilding joints and protecting the liver from a variety of chemicals, including alcohol and steroids.
- 1.1 [count noun] Any zwitterionic compound of the type represented by betaine.More example sentences
- There are anionic, zwitterionic (such as betaines), cationic and non-ionic species which may be admixed with the primary surfactant.
- He recently described the simultaneous analysis of underivatized sugars, polyols, proline analogues, and betaines in plant extracts by HPLC although the method suffered from interference by amino acids.
mid 19th century: formed irregularly from Latin beta 'beet' (because originally isolated from sugar beet) + -ine4.
More definitions of betaineDefinition of betaine in:
- The US English dictionary