Definition of bewail in English:
Express great regret, sadness, or disappointment about (something): men will bewail the loss of earlier freedoms
More example sentences
- Landlords and administrators complained, contesting the legality of the takeover, bewailing deforestation, and, most interestingly, arguing that the latter caused dangerous soil erosion.
- The filmmaker bewails the attitude of the educated sections towards serious films.
- She bewails the fact that the street's turned so quiet since it's been pedestrianised.
- bewailer noun
- Example sentences
- His suggestion that ‘a bewailer shall befriend another bewailer…’ is apparently a meaningless suggestion, keeping mythical imports aside, for a while.
- The complainers and bewailers are the faithless and unbelieving.
- Unlike other bemoaners and bewailers, he proposes a solution, if a partial one: Let communities sponsor scholarships, conditioned on a number of years of service to the community after graduation.
Words that rhyme with bewailail, ale, assail, avail, bail, bale, brail, Braille, chain mail, countervail, curtail, dale, downscale, drail, dwale, entail, exhale, fail, faille, flail, frail, Gael, Gail, gale, Grail, grisaille, hail, hale, impale, jail, kale, mail, male, webmail, nonpareil, outsail, pail, pale, quail, rail, sail, sale, sangrail, scale, shale, snail, stale, swale, tail, tale, they'll, trail, upscale, vail, vale, veil, surveil, wail, wale, whale, Yale
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.