Definition of bibulous in English:
- Certainly, he's a bibulous, gregarious fellow of many appetites, who not only acts and directs, but writes biographies and screenplays, and moonlights as a literary critic for a national newspaper.
- Emerging after a bibulous evening, befuddled guests went to recover their coats, only to discover that some of them had ‘walked’.
- So, come the denouement, their table was very bibulous and merry while everyone else was in a state of nervy misery.
beer from (Old English):
The ancestor of beer came from a Latin term used in monasteries. Classical Latin bibere ‘to drink’, is also behind beverage (Middle English), bibulous (late 17th century), and imbibe (Late Middle English). Although beer appears in Old English, it was not common before the 16th century, the usual word in earlier times being ale, which now refers to a drink made without hops. The late 16th-century proverb ‘Turkey, heresy, hops, and beer came into England all in one year’ reflects the difference. Ale continues to be applied to paler kinds of liquors for which the malt has not been roasted. Some areas still use beer and ale interchangeably. See also bib
- Example sentences
- They are both erecting places where the bibulously inclined may imbibe to their hearts content.
- Sergeant Reed is bibulously on the job again, drinking his wily way through another murder investigation.
- It's patchy but polished, and the antics of his bibulously amorous general are most diverting.
- Example sentences
- The men are, somewhat unjustly, recognised around the world for their bibulousness, and I know that many bossy wives have made their hubbies wear panty girdles for this reason alone.
- Note also the grotesque face on the right drinking from a small keg or barrilet: indicating the sin of bibulousness.
- At the end, though, he came up with a nearly perfect miniature, and he entered the phrase ‘Lucky Jim’ into the English language, a synonym for brains, bitterness, bumbling and bibulousness.
Words that rhyme with bibulousacidulous
Definition of bibulous in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.