Definition of biennial in English:
1Taking place every other year: the first of a series of biennial exhibitions Compare with biannual.
More example sentences
- As a featured artist in the Museum's biennial exhibition this month, he has reason to smile.
- Established in 1998, this biennial exhibition award honors Tremaine, a life-long collector of contemporary art, who formed the foundation prior to her 1987 death.
- While building his huge mansion in New York City, he loaned paintings from his collection to the museum, and in 1907 he provided prize money for the museum's first biennial exhibition.
2(Of a plant) taking two years to grow from seed to fruition and die. Compare with annual, perennial.
- Roundup can be used if thistles, Johnsongrass, or other perennial or biennial weeds are present in the small grain stubble.
- Gramoxone should not be used for control of perennial or biennial weeds, legumes, or cool-season grasses.
- Lettuce is an annual or perhaps a biennial herb and as such is by far the most popular edible herb in Ireland.
nounBack to top
2An event celebrated or taking place every two years: the top antiques fairs are the Milan and Florence biennials
More example sentences
- The national gymnasts are calling for more overseas tryouts in their training program prior to the biennial sporting event in September.
- While most installations at this year's event are serious explorations of profound themes, the biennial also celebrates unadulterated creativity.
- Thanks to his patronage of events such as the biennial, the city is the cultural capital of this nation made wealthy by oil, shipbuilding and business.
- Example sentences
- The awards rotate biennially throughout different regions of the world recognizing artists who have achieved excellence in color photography.
- From then, the event has been held biennially since 1984 in a best-of-five tournament over a single day.
- These exclude two major events involving numerous painters and artists held by the city biennially and annually.
Definition of biennial in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan