- A movable frame on which a coffin or a corpse is placed before burial or cremation or on which they are carried to the grave.More example sentences
- The body is carried to the grave in an open bier, followed by the funeral party, which is all male.
- After the funeral ceremony, the body is carried on an iron bier on foot to the tower, by an even number of corpse bearers.
- Family men, in turns, carried the bier in procession from the ashram to the waiting van for the 20-mile drive to the crematorium in the town.
Old English bēr, of Germanic origin; related to German Bahre, also to bear1.
More definitions of bierDefinition of bier in:
- The US English dictionary