adjectiveBotany & Zoology
- (Of a part of a plant or animal) divided by a deep cleft or notch into two parts: a bifid leaf the gut is bifidMore example sentences
- The ventral lobe is divided into two deep bifid prongs by a high median saddle.
- In addition, the new species has an inner lip tooth that is only rarely bifid and much more weakly bifid.
- The style, with a narrow bifid stigma, extends above the anthers by 5 mm.
mid 17th century: from Latin bifidus, from bi- 'doubly' + fidus (from findere 'to split').
More definitions of bifidDefinition of bifid in:
- The US English dictionary