Definition of big league in English:
1A group of teams in a professional sport, especially baseball, competing for a championship at the highest level.
- This marks the first time Percival has changed teams in the big leagues.
- Jack McKeon of the Marlins is another current major league manager who never played in the big leagues.
- Even when he was in college, Bret thought he was better than second basemen in the big leagues.
1.1 (the big league) informal A very successful or important group: the film brought him into the movie world’s big league
More example sentences
- Aspirants to the big league may note that attractive golf gear costs at least Rs 15,000.
- Two successive hits and they have made it to the big league of scriptwriters in the Malayalam film industry.
- My chance to really hit the big league and gain mainstream popularity.
big leaguer noun
- Example sentences
- I thought before that all the big leaguers were here in Washington.
- Former bush leaguer (when he was with Suicidal Tendencies) Rob Trujilo quits his current gig with big leaguer Ozzy and switches teams when he joins heavy hitters Metallica.
- ‘I got most of the names of Jewish big leaguers from the American Jewish Historical Society,’ he said.
Definition of big league in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India