Definition of bigeye in English:
1 (also bigeye tuna) A large migratory tuna which is found in warm seas and is very important to the fishing industry.
- Thunnus obesus, family Scombridae
- Overfishing I think is a significant component of its being caught by purse seine vessels in their juvenile state, and bigeye tuna and yellowfin tuna in their juvenile state almost look alike.
- Included in the list of species that are being overfished are seafood favorites such as monkfish, Atlantic swordfish, Atlantic bigeye tuna, grouper, Atlantic flounders, Atlantic cod, and red snapper.
- Some 80 to 90 percent of the bluefin, yellowfin and bigeye tuna caught by Taiwanese fishermen is exported to Japan, the largest market for seafood in Asia.
2A reddish fish with large eyes which lives in moderately deep waters of the tropical Atlantic and the western Indian Ocean. Also called catalufa.
- Priacanthus arenatus, family Priacanthidae
- Bigeye and its relatives are harvested commercially by nets, hook and line, and fish traps; there is some indications that populations are declining.
- By nature, Bigeyes should/would be hiding in some rockwork or other structure to hunt and avoid predators.
- While I was observing a dense mass of postlarval bigeyes circling a night light in the Bahamas, some gray snappers arrived on the scene and began to prey upon the small fish.
Definition of bigeye in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.