Definition of bike in English:
- His best freebie has been a mountain bike and a bike rack for his car.
- It's no secret that eBay has become one of the hottest spots on the Internet to buy and sell used bikes and bike gear.
- There is also a fun ride where the citizens of Hamburg can ride their bikes around a set course in the city streets.
verb[no object, with adverbial of direction] informal Back to top
- Falconry displays, American cheerleaders, Quad biking and train rides will also feature.
- Avoid driving whenever possible by walking, biking, using public transit, or car-pooling.
- These are real and possible threats while biking along a suburban city paved bike and hike trail.
- There was a courier service that would bike round bags of it with little flags of the country it came from on the sachet.
- Illuminating and surprising, this programme should be biked directly to the FA and anywhere else where national sports are organised.
- If your "bad back" is bothering you too much to respond online, then, maybe, you could hop on a bicycle, and bike the message to me.
Late 19th century: abbreviation.
bicycle from mid 19th century:
The velocipede (literally ‘rapid foot’) was the early form of bicycle, which is formed from bi- ‘two’ and Greek kuklos ‘wheel’. The abbreviation bike was not long to follow, in the late 19th century. A tricycle as a name for a three-wheeled coach drawn by two horses, dates from the 1820s, with the abbreviation trike appearing in the 1880s. Unicycle, from uni- ‘one’, was first recorded in the US in the 1860s.
Words that rhyme with bikealike, haik, hike, like, mic, mike, mislike, pike, psych, psyche, shrike, spike, strike, trike, tyke, Van Dyck, vandyke
Definition of bike in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.