noun[mass noun] Biochemistry
- An orange-yellow pigment formed in the liver by the breakdown of haemoglobin and excreted in bile.More example sentences
- Normally, the liver processes this bilirubin and excretes it into the bowel through the bile duct.
- The liver plays an essential role in the metabolism of bilirubin and the excretion of its metabolites into the bile.
- A healthy liver filters bilirubin, a breakdown product of old red blood cells.
late 19th century: coined in German from Latin bilis 'bile' + ruber 'red' + -in1.
More definitions of bilirubinDefinition of bilirubin in:
- The US English dictionary