- A branch of a river forming a backwater or stagnant pool, made by water flowing from the main stream during a flood.More example sentences
- The water level in the billabong was high, too high for fishing, said the old ladies.
- On the plains, the banks of rivers and billabongs were festooned with tall reeds and wild tangles of coolabah, swamp oak and river gum roots.
- They are the least known of any Australian turtle species as they lead secret lives in billabongs and river systems, far from the rest of the world.
mid 19th century: from Wiradhuri bilabang 'channel that is dry except after rain'.
More definitions of billabongDefinition of billabong in:
- The US English dictionary