noun[usually treated as singular]
- A game for two people, played on a billiard table, in which three balls are struck with cues into pockets round the edge of the table: (as modifier billiard) a billiard ballMore example sentences
- But in professional carom, unlike in billiards, the cue ball has to hit three cushions during the shot.
- The battalion chapel and a game room with billiards and ping-pong tables were also located in the DFAC building.
- First it was indoor swimming pools, then came indoor tennis, of course the huge influx of indoor sports like snooker, billiards, table tennis became hot favourites.
late 16th century: from French billard, denoting both the game and the cue, diminutive of bille (see billet2).
More definitions of billiardsDefinition of billiards in:
- The US English dictionary