- A long, flexible stem of a climbing plant, especially the hop.More example sentences
- Thus, if Hardy ‘leant upon a coppice gate,’ Rabinowitz is ‘Ensnared at the main gate’; Hardy's line ‘The tangled bine stems scored the sky’ is ghosted in Darkling as: ‘Scores of music I / Can't hear any more…’ .
- In the hop growing areas of England, hop bines (the full length of the hop plant, twined up a string) have always been used for decoration along the beams of old farmhouse kitchens, on top of dressers and over the bar in pubs and hotels.
- We harvest the hop bines fresh every day during the season and they are available direct from the farm shop or can be despatched by express carrier (preferably to business addresses only).
early 19th century: originally a dialect form of bind.
More definitions of bineDefinition of bine in:
- The US English dictionary