Definition of biochemistry in English:
1The branch of science concerned with the chemical and physico-chemical processes and substances which occur within living organisms.
- Interdisciplinary sciences such as biochemistry and social psychology would also have to be included.
- This does not mean, however, that chemistry, biochemistry or atomic physics are in some way giving us a false picture of reality.
- To achieve this aim it draws on biology, biochemistry, engineering, mathematics and computer science.
1.1The processes and substances with which the science of biochemistry is concerned: abnormal brain biochemistry
More example sentences
- The physiotypes are physiological life forms as delineated by comparative physiology, biochemistry, biophysics and molecular biology.
- Such errors are not surprising, given the many differences that exist between species in terms of their anatomy, physiology, biochemistry and metabolism.
- Despite the far-ranging scope of earlier work, aspects of germination and conversion physiology, and biochemistry in somatic embryos remain unexplored.
- Example sentences
- At the same time, the biochemists leave unchanged a key characteristic of the virus called its protein structure that allows it to be fully recognised by its host - this induces a high level of immunity and ensures robustness of response.
- His fellow biochemists pointed to dozens of articles suggesting possible pathways by which those systems might have evolved, articles that Behe either ignored entirely or dismissed out of hand.
- The work of these biochemists hunting for an AIDS vaccine at Johns Hopkins Medical School is funded mainly by the National Institutes of Health - that is, by the American taxpayer.
Definition of biochemistry in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan