Definition of bioengineering in English:
1 another term for genetic engineering.
- With all the recent work involving the genetic code and bioengineering, will future generations be able to sue their ancestors for passing on inferior genes?
- Most farms today, especially large meat and dairy farms, are corporate behemoths with tractors the size of luxury yachts, and with their soil and animals enhanced by genetics and bioengineering.
- Biotechnology applications to animal husbandry have been patented and commercialized, and major corporations invest in animal bioengineering.
2The use of artificial tissues, organs, or organ components to replace damaged or absent body parts.
- All the technology present in the OR was explained, from medical research and bioengineering to computer technology and patient care perspectives.
- Working together, we can increase the understanding of how advances in biomedical imaging and bioengineering can be applied to improve public health.
- Information on all aspects of NIBIB structure and operations and on activities related to biomedical imaging and bioengineering in general is available on the site.
3The use in engineering or industry of organisms or biological processes.
- Narayanamurti said Harvard will focus on strategic areas, such as bioengineering and the interface of biology and applied physics, math and computer science.
- The first section, Part I: Fundamentals and Principles, presents basic science and mathematical principles of bioengineering and industrial biotechnology.
- The idea of using common inkjet printers for laying down biomaterials and even living cells demonstrates how advances in other technological fields provide mature technologies for use in bioengineering.
bioengineer noun& verb
- Example sentences
- Many of us are no longer surprised at just about anything we read explaining the achievements of contemporary bioengineers; milestones are actualized with precipitous frequency.
- The company's bioengineers have genetically inserted into these seeds a protein that acts as a pesticide, killing bugs that feed on corn plants.
- According to the USDA, 80 percent of soybeans grown in the United States are now genetically modified; 34 percent of the corn grown here is bioengineered.
Definition of bioengineering in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan